JEJAK KEHIDUPAN YESUS
Chapel of the Ascension,
He was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight. They were looking intently up into the sky as He was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. "Men of Galilee," they said, "why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into Heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into Heaven." - Acts 1:9-11
The Chapel of the Ascension in Jerusalem is a Christian and Muslim holy site
that is believed to mark the place where Jesus ascended into Heaven. The small
round church/mosque contains a stone imprinted with the very footprints of
The round Chapel of the Ascension
When he had led them out to the vicinity of Bethany, he lifted up his hands and blessed them. While he was blessing them, he left them and was taken up into Heaven. Then they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy.
- Luke 24:50-51
Interior with mihrab and footprint of Christ
Before the conversion of Constantine (312), early Christians honored the Ascension of Christ in a cave on the Mount of Olives, probably because of concerns for safety. By the time the pilgrim Egeria visited Jerusalem in 384, the place of the Ascension was venerated on the present open site, uphill from the cave.
The first church was built here around 390 by Poimenia, a pious Roman lady. The original church was destroyed in the Persian attack of 614 but restored by Modestus.
Sign for the Chapel of the Ascension
In 680, the pilgrim Arculf described the church as a round building open to the sky, with three porticoes entered from the south. Eight lamps shone brightly at night through windows facing Jerusalem. Inside was a central edicule containing the footprints of Christ "plainly and clearly impressed in the dust" inside a railing. Pilgrims were permitted to take some of the dust home with them!
A 9th-century record notes that the church was served by three clergy and presbyters. When the Crusaders arrived, they rebuilt the Church of the Ascension as a roofed octagon (c.1150) and fortified the exterior.
In 1198, after the fall of the Crusader kingdom, Salah al-Din gave the church to two of his followers, who added a stone dome and mihrab. The ascension of Jesus is recognized in Islam, although it is not mentioned in the Qur'an. The building remained in use as a mosque for over 300 years.
The building fell into ruin by the end of the 15th century, and the east section of the octagonal surround-wall was walled off to form the asymmetrical shrine that stands today. A mosque and minaret were added next to the chapel in 1620 and the entire site remains in Muslim possession.
Imprint of Christ's right foot
Ring a bell for admission if the door is not open. To the right of the entrance is the small 1620 mosque, Zawiyat al-Adawiyya, from which there is a good view of the Chapel of the Ascension and the surrounding countryside.
The entrance leads into a courtyard with a paved path leading to the small Chapel of the Ascension. The main body of the chapel is from the Crusader era; the octagonal drum and stone dome are Muslim additions.
The exterior octagonal walls are decorated with arches and slim marble columns, which support fine 12th-century capitals. These feature entwined foliage, two with animal motifs featuring winged quadrapeds with the heads of birds.
Entered from the west, the chapel has a mihrab indicating the direction of Mecca in the south wall. On the floor, inside an asymmetrically placed frame, is a slab of stone imprinted with the right footprint of Christ. The section bearing the left footpring was taken to the Al-Aqsa Mosque in the Middle Ages.
Hooks in the wall around the courtyard are used to stretch tents for the celebration of the Feast of the Ascension, which draws many pilgrims.
A small burial crypt next to the chapel is revered by all three monotheistic
religions, but based on different beliefs about its occupant. Jews believe it
contains the 7th-century BC prophet Huldah, one of seven female prophets
mentioned in the Bible (2 Kings 22:14-20); Christians hold it to be the tomb of
the 5th-century saint Pelagia; while Muslims maintain that the 8th-century holy
woman Rabi'a al-Adawiya (for which the mosque is named) is buried here.
Plan of the chapel in the 4th century
Sambil duduk di Bukit Zaitun (Mount of Olives), Yesus bersama beberapa rasulnya dan sambil memperhatikan kemegahan kota serta Bait Suci (Second Temple) di seberang, Yesus berbicara mengenai masa depan bait itu serta dunia (Markus 13 ; Matius 24-25 ; Lukas 21:5-38).
Di puncak Bukit Zaitun yang dipandang sebagai tempat kenaikan Yesus, pada tahun 376 didirikan sebuah rotunda, yang pada tahun 438 ditambah dengan sebuah oratorium dan biara pria. Para pejuang Perang Salib mendirikan di situ sebuah gereja bersegi delapan dengan sederetan tiang yang menunjang kubah. Pada waktu itu kubahnya terbuka. Di bawahnya ada batu yang menurut legenda diinjak oleh Yesus (dengan meninggalkan jejak telapak kakinya) sebelum naik ke Surga. Pada tahun 1187 gereja itu diubah menjadi sebuah masjid, lalu pada tahun 1220 kubahnya ditutup. Setiap tahun sehari menjelang pesta Kenaikan Tuhan, para biarawan OFM mengadakan ibadah meriah di situ.
Names: Chapel of the Ascension, Mosque of the Ascension, Church of the Ascension
Type of site: Biblical site; footsteps of Jesus; church; mosque
Ownership: Islamic Waqf of Jerusalem
Dates: First church built 390; current chapel built 1150; dome and drum added 1200; mosque and minaret built 1620
Location: Village of al-Tur, just south of the Mount of Olives Hotel, Mount of Olives, Jerusalem
Hours: Daily 8-6 (closes at 4:30 in winter)
Bus: 37; Mount of Olives Bus 75
GOD IS THE LORD WHO DOES MIRACLES
silakan klik MY JOURNEY TO ROME mahakarya Petrus
Basilika Saint Peter, pusat dan asal mula Ajaran Yesus ke seluruh dunia. "Di atas batu karang ini Aku akan mendirikan jemaat-Ku", kata Yesus kepada murid-Nya bernama Simon alias Peter (yang artinya 'batu karang'). Dan penyebaran 'Kabar Baik' Ajaran Yesus ke seluruh dunia yang terbesar memang dari karya Peter dimulai dari Roma.
Orang Roma (bangsa Romawi pada jaman itu) terkenal kejam terhadap orang Yahudi bangsa jajahannya, namun Yesus justru memakai bangsa Romawi menjadi cikal bakal penyebaran Ajaran Cinta Kasih-Nya ke seluruh penjuru bumi dimulai dari karya terbesarnya Rasul Petrus dan Rasul Paulus (2 sosok yang bekerja secara sinergi).
GOD IS THE LORD WHO DOES MIRACLES
GO YE INTO ALL THE WORLD, AND PREACH THE GOSPEL TO EVERY CREATURE
Powered by: DENVINCENT.Com.Inc.